Economic Impact Study Shows Revealing Statistics
Tuesday, September 21, 2010
Here are some
incredibly revealing statistics about the impact of the NC Green
Industry Council on our state:
- The total economic impact of the NC Green
Industry in 2005 was $8.6 Billion.
- The total employment by the NC Green
Industry in 2005 was 151,982 jobs.
- In 2005, the NC Green Industry's total economic impact exceeded that of NASCAR by over $3B and the food service industry by over $4B.
- The NC Green Industry is the fastest growing segment of
agriculture in North Carolina.
- Greenhouse, Nursery and Floriculture Crops were the number one
crop in North Carolina in 2006 ahead of tobacco, cotton and
soybeans. This ranked 4th in the United States behind CA, FL and TX
with $893 million in sales.
- In 2006 North Carolina was number one in Christmas trees production
in the US
with sales of $134M.
- Undergraduate turf management programs at NCSU named number one
in the United States by TurfNet
- North Carolina homeowner's average expenditure for lawn and
landscape services in 2005 was $838.00.
- Over 2.9 million North Carolina homeowners spent an average of
$718.00 for green goods, equipment and supplies in 2005.
Download the Study